Meet Kathy Morelli
Licensed Professional Counselor, Author, Speaker, Friend
Kathy is a Licensed Professional Counselor in Wayne, NJ and the Director of BirthTouch® LLC. As an LPC, she provides Marriage and Family Counseling in Wayne, New Jersey with a focus on Maternal Mental Health, Family Systems and trauma from sexual abuse and medical intervention. Professional consults are available via Skype and phone. In addition, private childbirth education is available.
Kathy has been studying healing for three decades. She began her journey by studying holistic touch therapies at Meridian Shiatsu Institute in Pennsylvania: shiatsu acupressure, Reiki and Matrix Energetics. She continued her journey by studying birth hypnosis.
She found that her clients expressed deep emotions during her shiatsu & acupressure sessions, releasing emotional material about past trauma.
So she began to study counseling psychology, to deepen her understanding and her ability to help others. Today she has an integrative counseling practice, combining evidence-based therapies, traditional and complementary.
Some of the issues she helps women & their families with are: the emotions of pregnancy, birth and postpartum. This encompasses such issues as the fears and anxieties of pregnancy & birth, pregnancy loss, anxiety & depression, PTSD/ birth trauma, impact of sexual abuse & rape on pregnancy& birthing, abortion & post-abortion emotions, prematurity, adaptation to motherhood, and the couple’s transition to parenthood.
Kathy is the author of BirthTouch® Shiatsu and Acupressure for the Childbearing Year, BirthTouch® Healing for Parents in the NICU and the BirthTouch® Guide to Perinatal Mental Illness for Birth Professionals.
The BirthTouch® blog covers such topics as the emotions of depression, anxiety, trauma, pregnancy, birth and postpartum and couples work.
She is the Examiner for Pregnancy & Infant Parenting for Morris County, NJ. She has served as the Guest Blog Manager for Lamaze International’s Science and Sensibility and co-hosted Postpartum Support International’s #PSIBlogHop2013 for Maternal Mental Health.
Kathy has lectured on BirthTouch® at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey’s Semmelweis Conference for Midwifery, several birth conferences, including BirthWorks®, HypnoBirthing®, at midwifery schools, and at Postpartum Support International’s Annual 2011 Conference.
She presents trainings to allied birth organizations about maternal mental health and family systems and is found on web media, such as PBS’ This Emotional Life, writing and speaking about this subject. She is a CEU provider for DONA International.
An overview of some trainings/certifications Kathy has earned:
- EMDR Levels One & Two
- Salve Regina University Expressive Arts Facilitator Training
- Academy of Guided Imagery Level One & Two certification
- Birthing From Within Level One
- past HypnoBirthing(r) certification
- Gottman Institute’s Couples Counseling Level One and Level Two
- Debra Pascali-Bonaro’s DONA doula & postpartum doula trainings
- Postpartum Support International’s Perinatal Mood Disorders Certification
- Rutger University’s Active Parenting classes
- Penny Simkin’s Birth Trauma training
- past Jin Shin Do(r) Bodymind Acupressure(r) registration
- current Meridian Shiatsu Institute Shiatsu certification
- Reiki Master.
Her past work experience includes:
- counseling persons with severe mental illness
- and working at a Cancer as the MindBody Specialist, where she did family counseling and ran the Complementary Care program, including the Reiki Volunteer Program.
- owner of Gentle Birthing Methods, providing shiatsu & acupressure for pregnant women and teaching birth hypnosis
Twitter Id = @KathyAMorelli